Helping Customers Achieve Their Net Zero Goals
CenterPoint Energy strives to be a company that provides comprehensive energy solutions for customers, drives internal business efficiencies, and captures growth opportunities across residential, commercial and industrial classes.
We are also taking a leadership role in assisting our customers in transitioning to a lower carbon future by offering effective and affordable conservation and energy efficiency programs. We are working closely with stakeholders across our service territories in support of their communities’ climate action goals. This will include increasing consumers’ choices in alternative transportation fuels, such as compressed natural gas, and expanding EV charging infrastructure.
We are supporting our communities’ climate action goals:
- We sponsor the Houston Climate Action Plan, a science-based, community-driven strategy for the City of Houston to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, meet the Paris Agreement goal of carbon neutrality by 2050 and lead a global energy transition.
- We helped fund the Houston Advanced Research Center, a research hub providing independent analysis on energy, air and water issues to people seeking scientific answers, as well as C40 Cities, a climate leadership group.
- Since 2014, we have partnered with the Minneapolis Clean Energy Partnership, working with the City of Minneapolis and Xcel Energy to help the city reach its climate action and cleaner energy goals.
- We are collaborating with the City of Evansville, Indiana, on the creation and implementation of its Climate Action Plan. By 2050, Evansville plans to be a regional leader in equitably addressing climate change and a zero-waste community powered by renewable energy.
We have co-founded active cleaner energy and innovation partnerships, including:
- Evolve Houston, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving air quality and reducing GHG emissions through electrified transportation in support of the Houston Climate Action Plan’s goal to become carbon neutral by 2050.
- Greentown Labs Houston, an energy technology incubator to support economic development and secure Houston’s position as a global center for energy innovation, entrepreneurship and collaboration.
In support of Houston METRO’s 2030 Net Zero goal for bus procurement, CenterPoint Energy is developing a targeted 10-year infrastructure master plan focused on growth in demand and ensuring resiliency.
Many of CenterPoint Energy’s Houston customers rely on METRO, one of the largest public transportation systems in the country, that has served the Greater Houston Area since 1978. The City of Houston is planning to electrify part of its METRO bus fleet with CenterPoint Energy leading infrastructure readiness for the initiative. The infrastructure plan will provide targeted investments to enhance resiliency in anticipation of the additional load on the system due to METRO’s projected fleet growth from 1,250 to 1,500 electrified buses. METRO’s bus electrification program will begin with 20 buses.