Driving Sustainability and Equitable Economic Growth to Support Our Customers
Helping Customers Achieve Their Net Zero Goals
CenterPoint Energy strives to be a company that provides comprehensive energy solutions for customers, drives internal business efficiencies, and captures growth opportunities across residential, commercial and industrial classes.
Partnerships are essential to our collective success, and customers are at the heart of our commitment. We work closely with stakeholders across our service territories in support of our communities’ climate action goals:
- We sponsor the Houston Climate Action Plan, a science-based, community-driven strategy for the City of Houston to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, meet the Paris Agreement goal of carbon neutrality by 2050 and lead a global energy transition.
- We helped fund the Houston Advanced Research Center, a research hub providing independent analysis on energy, air and water issues to people seeking scientific answers, as well as C40 Cities, a climate leadership group.
- Since 2014, we have been an active partner in the Minneapolis Clean Energy Partnership, working with the City of Minneapolis and Xcel Energy to help the city reach its climate action and cleaner energy goals.
- We are collaborating with the City of Evansville, Indiana, on the creation and implementation of its Climate Action Plan. By 2050, Evansville plans to be a regional leader in equitably addressing climate change and a zero-waste community powered by renewable energy.
- In 2019, CenterPoint Energy co-founded EVolve Houston, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving air quality and reducing GHG emissions through electrified transportation in support of the Houston Climate Action Plan’s goal to become carbon neutral by 2050.
- CenterPoint Energy also co-founded Greentown Labs Houston, a new energy technology incubator to support economic development and secure Houston’s position as a global center for energy innovation, entrepreneurship and collaboration.
CenterPoint Energy and the City of Houston recently launched Resilient Now, a first-of-its-kind collaborative framework to develop a regional master energy plan to enhance local power resilience. We will work jointly to develop with individual communities across the greater Houston area to optimize infrastructure investments and advance energy solutions to address weather-related challenges. The collaborative plan will also create the blueprint for a sustainable future through increased electric transportation and more renewable energy, such as solar and wind.
Resilient Now will guide strategic plans and investments around power resilience over the next 10 years. CenterPoint Energy is working jointly with the City of Houston’s leadership team, including the Airport System, Public Works, the Office of Emergency Management and METRO. Learn more
In support of METRO’s 2030 Net Zero goal for bus procurement, CenterPoint Energy is developing a targeted 10-year infrastructure master plan focused on growth in demand and ensuring resiliency.
Many of CenterPoint Energy’s Houston customers rely on METRO, one of the largest public transportation systems in the country, that has served the Greater Houston Area since 1978. The City of Houston is planning to electrify part of its METRO bus fleet with CenterPoint Energy leading infrastructure readiness for the initiative. The infrastructure plan will provide targeted investments to ensure resiliency in anticipation of the additional load on the system due to METRO’s projected fleet growth from 1,250 to 1,500 electrified buses. METRO’s bus electrification program will begin with 20 buses.
City of Houston Energy Master Plan Focus Areas:
- Investment grade audits for end-to-end solutions
- Energy efficiency program offerings
- System optimization
- EV infrastructure growth modeling
- Mechanical and fleet management workforce development
- Microgrid applications
- Sustainability planning