Meeting the evolving needs of our customers and communities with safe, clean and resilient energy
As CenterPoint Energy transitions from fossil-based systems of energy production to safe, clean and more resilient sources like wind and solar, we must also respond to the changing needs of our customers and communities, especially those where this transition is felt the most.
While CenterPoint Energy has a dedicated capital improvement budget for modernizing our operations and a digital transformation that will bring improved customer experiences companywide, the expansion of electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure, redevelopment of potentially stranded assets, and attraction of diverse economic investment require partnerships at all levels. Partnerships include all levels of government, advocacy groups, philanthropic foundations and the private sector to quickly maximize their positive environmental, social and economic impacts.
Our commitment to minimize negative local social and economic impacts remains strong, and we will continue to financially support our core giving areas that are responsive to our communities’ needs.
Our Customers and Communities Will See Enhanced Safety:
- Smart metering enables us to automate shutoffs, which will enhance the safety of our customers and their communities.
- Microgrid solutions will support emergency operations.
Our Customers and Communities Will Be Served with Cleaner Energy:
- Smart metering enables us to reduce the number of times our vehicles need to mobilize and avoids vehicular emissions.
- Renewable energy generation sources emit fewer air pollutants where they are located.
- EVs are less expensive to fuel and maintain than gas-powered vehicles, and their use avoids air pollution from tailpipe emissions.
- Accelerated leak detection and repair means fewer fugitive emissions of methane.
- Transitioning to a clean energy future means infrastructure growth opportunities.
- Renewable Natural Gas feed-in tariffs in Indiana, Minnesota and Texas create new revenue streams for existing businesses and tax levies for government.
Our Customers and Communities Will Be More Resilient:
- Smart metering enables us to perform data analytics to achieve more precise outage identification and quicker resolution.
- Digital solutions result in operational resiliency and reduce service disruption.
- Upgraded substations will withstand more extreme precipitation and flooding.
- Underground Transmission and Distribution will withstand more severe weather events.
- Leasing emergency backup generation capacity and battery storage improves our system’s resilience.
The construction of two natural gas combustion turbines is the next step in CenterPoint Energy’s long-term plan to deliver on the commitment to introduce significant levels of renewables and natural gas into our portfolio, as outlined in our 2020 Integrated Resource Plan. The retirement of our smaller, inefficient coal-fired power generation units and the addition of the natural gas combustion turbines will continue to reduce our operational carbon emissions and maintain our commitment to a clean energy future, providing our customers an affordable option for delivering abundant, safe and reliable energy.