CenterPoint Energy has a strong history of supporting diverse organizations in the communities where we live and work.
Our companywide community relations strategy focuses on community vitality and education.
The CenterPoint Energy Foundation provides support to nonprofit organizations whose programs and services align with these core giving pillars and invests in initiatives that not only improve our stakeholders’ lives today, but also build a strong foundation for tomorrow.
- Affordable Housing – Initiatives leading to increased access to quality, energy-efficient and affordable housing
- Environment – Ensuring our communities are sustainable and resilient for the future
- Thriving Communities – Quality of place and resident-led initiatives leading to vibrant neighborhoods, cities and states
Community Vitality in Action: Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity embarked on a project to bring multifamily housing to the Harrison Neighborhood, west of downtown Minneapolis. The CenterPoint Energy Foundation contributed $500,000 to Harrison Townhomes, a 17-unit townhome development that will result in affordable ownership opportunities for current neighborhood renters who are predominantly people of color.
- Literacy – Literacy and tutoring programs focused on early childhood through adult learners
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) – Education programs targeted to under-resourced areas and/or under-represented populations
- Workforce Development – Programs addressing the workforce needs of our communities.
Education in Action: The CenterPoint Energy Foundation contributed $1 million to expand Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library to four counties throughout Indiana – Madison, Monroe, Vigo, and Vanderburgh. The funding will provide a free book a month to children ages 5 and under in those counties.
Spotlight on STEM
Provided grants for
of one-on-one literacy tutoring
Engaged STEM grants for
in STEM activities or events
1,670 STEM devices
(including computers and tablets)
and 1,341 STEM kits
CenterPoint Energy Supports STEM
- Comp-U-Dopt provides technology access and education to under-resourced youth and their communities by providing computers and digital literacy programs to students and families. The CenterPoint Energy Foundation contributed $115,000 for computers distribution in Evansville, Indiana, and $50,000 for Shreveport, Louisiana.
- The CenterPoint Energy Foundation committed $200,000 to the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) to provide renewable scholarships to students within our service territory. The UNCF CenterPoint Energy STEM and Business Administration Scholarship Program will award 10 qualifying students a four-year scholarship.
- The CenterPoint Energy Foundation partners with Carnegie Vanguard High School’s Women in Science and Engineering Club in Houston, an organization for students who aspire to work in the technology and engineering fields. Our female engineers engage students on using science and technology to help solve real-life problems and as a catalyst for social change.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Giving
Through our ongoing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, the CenterPoint Energy Foundation will support our core giving areas of Education and Community Vitality, develop relationships with new and existing nonprofit partners, and work to ensure our partnerships have long-term impact.