We believe delivering electricity and natural gas to millions of customers across our communities takes the dedication of everyone in an environment where we respect, understand and appreciate one another, as well as those we serve. Our talented workforce is critical to our success.
CenterPoint Energy places a high priority on promoting strong human capital management; sustaining a strong culture of ethics; providing professional development opportunities; fostering mutual respect at all levels; and following all labor, employment and human rights laws applicable to our business. We promote belonging, diversity, equity and inclusion and strive to maintain a safe and productive work environment where all employees are supported, valued for their contributions and free from all forms of discrimination.
Our employee benefits are designed to help employees stay healthy, care for their families, plan for their futures and enjoy peace of mind. To support our employees’ personal and professional needs, we offer a wellness program, an Education Assistance Program, volunteer opportunities, and Affinity and Employee Resource Groups.
- All full- and part-time employees receive annual training on CenterPoint Energy’s Ethics and Compliance Code, which covers fair treatment, equal opportunity and workplace respect, among other topics.
- 100% of eligible employees received a performance evaluation in 2022.
- Our Employee Resource Groups engaged 1,600+ employee members to develop and manage 59 events for all employees throughout the company.
- Our 2022 internship program provided real-world experience, training and mentoring to 82 interns.
- We are a veteran-friendly employer with 610 self-identified veterans at year-end 2022.
U.S. Veterans Magazine named CenterPoint Energy one of its 2023 “Top Veteran-friendly Companies” in recognition of our hiring practices, as well as participation in military job fairs and accessible hiring practices for those with disabilities.
CenterPoint Energy employees are the driving force behind our company’s success, and we are focused on providing employee development and building our culture.
Our human capital priorities include attracting, retaining and developing high-performing talent through talent management activities. We work to maintain a workforce reflective of our communities and the available workforce within the territories we serve by attracting quality candidates through our recruitment and selection processes.
A CULTURE OF ENGAGEMENT
CenterPoint Energy’s goal is to create a work environment in which every employee is engaged, aligned with our strategy, goals and priorities, and understands how they contribute to the company’s long-term performance. To achieve this goal, we strive to connect with our employees in meaningful ways.
- Our Executive Committee holds quarterly town hall meetings with all employees to share key company updates. Employees across the company participate in-person or via video conference and are encouraged to engage in the question-and-answer session.
- CenterPoint Energy’s last diversity, equity and inclusion survey provided insight that was useful in the continuing development of the company’s belonging, diversity, equity and inclusion strategy and initiatives. The anonymous responses helped the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council and team members to better understand successes, challenges and opportunities. Employees shared feedback on attitudes toward the company’s culture, hiring and recruiting, training programs, diversity and other workplace experiences.
- In response to the survey, Employee Resource Groups were launched at CenterPoint Energy to offer opportunities to connect internally, promote inclusion so that different viewpoints are heard and ideas are considered, and create opportunities for mentoring and professional development.
- Our employee pulse surveys have focused on career development, safety, innovation and collaboration. These surveys help us identify strengths and opportunities for improvement.
An enterprise-wide Employee Engagement Survey was shared with all employees in June 2023 to gather thoughts and insights about our company. Responses will be aggregated and analyzed to enable us to further strengthen our culture.