We are committed to building the skills and competencies of our employees to help maximize their potential and contribute to successfully implementing our business strategy.
Despite COVID-19, CenterPoint Energy was pleased to continue its 2020 internship program, providing virtual real-world experience, training and mentoring to 61 interns.
Training and Development
Our commitment to safely and reliably delivering electricity and natural gas to millions of people, includes focusing on the continuous development of our greatest assets – our employees, to build a sustainable leadership pipeline.
We offer employees opportunities to increase their skills and maximize their potential, both professionally and technically, through leadership development programs, technical skills training, and professional development training and resources.
We identify performance gaps and skills training for departments across the company to ensure employees have the right skills to perform their jobs safely and effectively. In addition to technical skills, professional development is a key component of our learning and development strategy. Resources that help support employees’ professional development skills include web-based courses, live instructor led training and on-demand resources. Topic areas include business and financial acumen, project management, business writing and communication skills.
CNP University is CenterPoint Energy’s corporate university made up of six colleges that represent formal learning and training operations designed to meet employees’ needs.
- Total online courses completed: 373,039
- Total hours of online courses completed: 186,519*
*Each course averages approximately 30 minutes or 0.5 hours
College of Professional Development – Instructor/virtual instructor-led training:
• Total participants: 2,110
• Total hours completed: 6,601
All employees receive annual training on CenterPoint Energy’s Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct, which covers fair treatment, equal opportunity and workplace respect, among other issues. More than 99% of eligible employees received a performance evaluation in 2020.
CenterPoint Energy’s leadership development programs aim to provide a set of solutions and programs that develop leaders’ capabilities at all levels. To meet the future needs of the business, our leadership development strategy strives to create great leaders to support business growth and maintain a high-performing workplace.
Our flagship leadership development programs include:
- Leadership Academy – Targeted to current, high-potential leaders to broaden their networks and advance their business acumen.
- Learning to Lead – A program tailored for high-potential individual contributors.
- Leadership Essentials – Designed to assist new leaders in their transition into leadership and set them up for success during their first year of leading others.
In 2020, the talent pipeline available in our leadership programs reflected a diverse representation across ethnicity/race and gender.
|Leadership Development Program||Male||Female||Racial Diversity|
|Learning To Lead||76%||24%||33%|
Talent Review and Succession Planning
We take a strategic approach to attracting, retaining and developing our workforce. Our strategy combines talent review and succession planning with internal talent development as essential elements of overall workforce planning.
We conduct annual talent review and succession planning with all levels of leadership to ensure business continuity and identify the future leaders of our company. We invest in employee development throughout the year to align performance to business needs, drive development planning and contribute to career progression. Development programs are available to our employees at all phases of their career, including technical and leadership pathways. Processes and progress are reviewed annually to ensure continuous improvement in all we do.
Workforce Development Programs
- In 2020, CenterPoint Energy began a partnership with Ivy Tech Community College to offer the Achieve Your Degree program to line workers and gas apprentices in Indiana. The program makes an interdisciplinary and technical certificate or an Energy Technology Associate of Applied Science degree available by completing coursework and on-the-job training, while using the company’s tuition reimbursement plan.
- In collaboration with the National Energy Foundation, we launched the Energy Safe Skills program, geared toward Indiana students studying in fields such as construction, maintenance and related areas. The program helps teach future job site workers how to be safe and protect the communities where they will work. Training materials for instructors are available at no cost and cover characteristics of natural gas, natural gas leak recognition and response, and the importance of 811 and safe digging best practices.