Training & Development
CenterPoint Energy’s continuous efforts to safely and reliably deliver electricity and natural gas to millions of people includes focusing on the continuous development of our greatest assets – our employees – to build a sustainable leadership pipeline.
We identify performance gaps and skills training for departments across the company to ensure employees have the right skills to perform their jobs safely and effectively. We offer employees opportunities to increase skills both professionally and technically through leadership development programs, technical skills training, and professional development training and resources.
CNP University is CenterPoint Energy’s corporate university made up of six colleges that represent formal learning and training operations designed to meet employees’ needs.
- Total online courses completed: 264,032
- Total hours of online courses completed: 132,016*
*Each course averages approximately 30 minutes or 0.5 hours
College of Professional Development – Instructor/Virtual Instructor-Led Training:
- Total participants: 3,074
- Total hours completed: 8,948
- Average hours of training per year per employee via CNP University (excludes field safety and technical training): 2.9 hours
- All full- and part-time employees receive annual training on CenterPoint Energy’s Ethics and Compliance Code of Conduct, which covers fair treatment, equal opportunity and workplace respect, among other issues.
- 100% of eligible employees received a performance evaluation in 2022.
- CenterPoint Energy’s 2022 internship program provided real-world experience, training and mentoring to 82 interns.
CenterPoint Energy’s leadership development programs aim to provide a set of solutions and programs that develop leaders’ capabilities at all levels to support business growth and maintain a high-performing workplace.
Our leadership development programs include:
- Leadership Academy – Targeted to current, high-potential leaders who are nominated and selected to be part of this one-year program to broaden their networks and advance their business acumen.
- Learning to Lead – Targeted to current high-potential individual contributors who are nominated and selected to be part of this six-month program that will help them grow professionally and gain leadership skills.
- Leadership Essentials – Automatic enrollment program designed to assist new leaders in their transition into leadership and set them up for success during their first year of leading others.
- Leading Leaders – Automatic enrollment program designed to assist first-time leaders of other leaders with their transition as they take on increased leadership responsibility.
2022 Leadership Development Programs
|2022 Learning and Development Programs||Male||Female||Racial Diversity|
|Learning to Lead||68%||32%||37%|
Talent Review and Succession Planning
We take a strategic approach to attracting, retaining and developing our workforce, combining annual talent review and succession planning as essential elements of overall workforce planning. To ensure business continuity and identify the future leaders of our company, we invest in employee development to align performance to business needs, drive development planning and contribute to career progression.
We offer development programs for employees at all phases of their career, including technical and leadership pathways. Our processes and progress are reviewed annually for continuous improvement.
Workforce Development Programs
- In collaboration with the National Energy Foundation, we began the Energy Safe Skills program, geared toward Indiana students studying in fields such as construction, maintenance and related areas. Free training materials for instructors cover characteristics of natural gas, natural gas leak recognition and response, and 811 and safe digging best practices.
- CenterPoint Energy joined with Ivy Tech Community College to offer the Achieve Your Degree program to line workers and gas apprentices in Indiana. The program makes an interdisciplinary and technical certificate or an Energy Technology Associate of Applied Science degree available by completing coursework and on-the-job training while using the company’s tuition reimbursement plan.
- CenterPoint Energy and Texas Southern University initiated an Experts-In-Action speaker series as a pillar of a larger strategic partnership between the company and the university. This collaboration provides direct access for undergraduate, graduate and university faculty to utility experts and allows innovative discussions relative to energy management and the workforce of the future.
CenterPoint Energy is a member of the Center for Energy Workforce Development, a consortium of energy utility companies, associations, unions, educators and business partners. Members work together to position our industry to recruit and retain a skilled workforce for the energy industry.