CenterPoint Energy’s Procurement, Materials and Logistics organization partners with business units to develop strategic relationships that provide the best value to the company. Sourcing decisions are based on the total cost of ownership, which includes quantitative and qualitative considerations. This collaborative, comprehensive approach supports the goal that supplier agreements look beyond the price paid and are reflections of CenterPoint Energy’s core values and our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Our Code of Conduct for Consultants, Contractors, Suppliers and Vendors explains our expectations for our service providers.
Employees are expected to conduct fair and transparent purchasing and payment practices and support internal controls for the company. Periodically, we conduct vendor risk assessments to evaluate various risk criteria for vendors.
Securing a Sustainable Supply Chain and Fostering Supplier Diversity.
CenterPoint Energy’s Procurement, Materials and Logistics organization maintains the supply chain processes for goods and services and oversees our robust supplier diversity program. Our Procurement Policy aligns with our corporate strategy and takes a risk-based approach on controls while driving increased value to the company.
2020 Spend Profile
- Contracted with 2,500+ suppliers
- Goods and services valued at $2.9 billion+
- 9% direct annual spending
with diverse business enterprises
CenterPoint Energy’s ESG strategy includes our net zero goals and carbon policy, which reflect our commitment to collaborating with suppliers to lower their methane emissions.
Managing supply during COVID-19
At the onset of COVID-19, the Procurement, Materials and Logistics organization pursued non-traditional avenues for obtaining Personal Protective Equipment for our employees. Due to high demand, access through regular suppliers was limited. For example, a district director connected the group to Texas Tail Distillery in Galveston. Within hours of reaching out, the distillery was filling hand sanitizer and cleaning solution bottles for CenterPoint Energy, providing us with more than 700 gallons.
CenterPoint Energy recognizes the economic importance of diverse suppliers, such as minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and HUBZone (Historically Underutilized Business Zone) small businesses. We are committed to providing opportunities to small and diverse vendors to deliver goods and services as part of our sourcing process.
Our Supplier Diversity activities are guided by our internal
Supplier Diversity policy.
We seek opportunities to assist in the development and competitiveness of diverse business enterprises through:
- Participation in local, state and national minority and women-owned business councils
- Sponsorship of various diversity tradeshows, including the annual Houston Minority Business Council Expo, the annual Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance Expo, the annual City of Houston Government Expo, Small Business Administration Expos and the Edison Electric Institute Diversity Expo
- Sponsorship of networking events and educational workshops for diverse and prime suppliers
- Scholarships to diverse suppliers through local diversity business councils and Edison Electric Institute
- Supplier mentoring
- Active second-tier business initiatives
CenterPoint Energy partners with numerous national,
regional and local supplier diversity advocacy organizations:
- Edison Electric Institute Business Diversity Committee
- National Minority Supplier Development Council
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
- Indiana Energy Association Supplier Diversity Development
- Mid-States Minority Supplier Development Council
- Ohio Minority Supplier Development Council
- Southern Gas Association Supplier Diversity Task Force
- Women’s Business Council Southwest
- Houston Minority Supplier Development Council
- Great Lakes Women’s Business Council
2020 Supplier Diversity Awards
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council’s Top Corporation of the Year (National), honoring corporations that have demonstrated a sustained commitment to the inclusion of women-owned businesses in their supply chains.
- Houston Minority Supplier Development Council’s President’s Award
- Houston Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance’s Cutting Edge Award
- Minority Business News Texas Best of the Decade