CenterPoint Energy’s Supply Chain organization partners with business units to develop strategic relationships that provide the best value to the company.
Our collaborative, comprehensive approach supports the goal that supplier agreements look beyond the price paid and are reflections of our core values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Our internal Procurement Policy aligns with our corporate strategy and takes a risk-based approach on controls while driving increased value to the company. Supply Chain maintains a Vendor Risk Management Program with environmental, social and governance (ESG) evaluation criteria. Our Code of Conduct for Consultants, Contractors, Suppliers and Vendors explains our expectations for service providers.
Sustainable Supply Chain
CenterPoint Energy’s ESG strategy includes our Net Zero goals and carbon reduction policy, which reflect our commitment to collaborating with suppliers to lower their methane emissions.
CenterPoint Energy’s Procurement, Materials and Logistics organization maintains the supply chain processes for goods and services and oversees our robust supplier diversity program. Our Procurement Policy aligns with our corporate strategy and takes a risk-based approach on controls while driving increased value to the company.
Fostering Supplier Diversity
CenterPoint Energy’s Supply Chain organization oversees our robust supplier diversity program, which is guided by our internal Procurement Policy and Supplier Diversity Policy Statement.
The Compensation Committee assists the Board in discharging its oversight responsibility for the company’s human capital management matters, as well as the supplier diversity program.
Effective 2022, our short-term incentive plan design for our Executive Committee members includes a supplier diversity metric focused on increasing the percentage of diverse supplier spend relative to the prior year.
2021 SUPPLIER DIVERSITY SPEND PROFILE
- Total Supply Chain Sourceable Spend: $3.6 billion
- Total Diverse Supplier Spend: $406 million
- Percent Spend with Diverse Suppliers: 11.2%
CenterPoint Energy recognizes the economic importance of diverse suppliers, such as minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned, HUBZone certified and all categories of small businesses. We are committed to developing strong working relationships with diverse suppliers and using innovative approaches designed to continually improve business opportunities.
We assist in the development and competitiveness of diverse business enterprises through:
- Participation in local, state and national minority and women-owned business councils
- Sponsorship of diversity tradeshows, networking events and educational workshops for diverse and prime suppliers
- Scholarships to diverse suppliers through funding to local diversity business councils and Edison Electric Institute
- Supplier mentoring
- Active second-tier business initiatives
CenterPoint Energy partners with national, regional and local supplier diversity advocacy organizations, including but not limited to:
- Edison Electric Institute Business Diversity Committee
- Golden Triangle Minority Business Council
- Greater Houston Business Procurement Forum
- Great Lakes Women’s Business Council
- Houston Minority Supplier Development Council
- Indiana Energy Association Supplier Diversity Development Committee
- Mid-States Minority Supplier Development Council
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- National Minority Supplier Development Council
- National Veteran-owned Business Association
- North Central Minority Supplier Development Council
- Southern Region Minority Supplier Development Council
- Southwest Minority Supplier Development Council
- Women’s Business Council Ohio River Valley Women’s Business Council Southwest
- Women’s Business Development Center Midwest
- Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance
- Women’s Business Enterprise Council South
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
Recent Awards and Recognition
- Subcontractors USA – 2021 Supplier Diversity Champion Award
- Houston Business Journal’s 2021 Outstanding Supplier Diversity Award
- Houston Minority Supplier Development Council 2021 Award
- Middle Market Engagement Award Prime Supplier Engagement Award
- Women’s Business Enterprise Alliance 2021 Awards
- Cutting Edge Award for Outstanding Utilization of Women Business Enterprises
- Cutting Edge Award for Outstanding Expenditures with Women Business Enterprises
- Cutting Edge Award for Advocate of the Year